how to paint a metal patio set using spray paint

Tips and Techniques on how to successfully Pigment Outdoor Furniture and Sling Back Chairs Using Spray Pigment.

I have painted a lot of indoor and outdoor furniture over the years and have picked up quite a few outdoor furniture painting tips and techniques along the style.  From the all-time paints to utilise for outdoor furniture and accessories to how to set up and restore metal patio furniture and at present fifty-fifty how to pigment outdoor piece of furniture with sling seats. These are a big claiming if you don't desire to get pigment on the slings.

Outdoor Furniture Painting Instructions

Before: Outdoor Dining Table and Chairs

How to paint rusty metal furniture

This is my 15 year old outdoor dining tabular array and chairs. The set is in slap-up shape, but the green colour has faded and no longer coordinates with my other outdoor effects. It needed a color makeover.

painting metal outdoor furniture techniques

Armed with a few rolls of ScotchBlue Painter's Tape and Rust-Oleum Universal All Surface Spray Paint in Hammered Brown I set out to brand it happen.

A fter: Outdoor Dining Table and Chairs

How-to-Paint-outdoor-furniture-with-sling-seating

Subsequently some DIY'ing and a few rain delays, I am now the proud possessor of what looks like a make new prepare of outdoor furniture.

How-to-paint-outdoor-furniture

Without the utilize of  ScotchBlue Painter's tape, I would have had to remove the seat slings from the frames – way as well hard.  I only protected the slings before I painted with the tape and newspaper.

Scotch-Blue-Painting-Tapes

How to Pigment Outdoor Piece of furniture with Sling Seats

supplies needed:

  • ScotchBlue™ Painter's Record  – I needed 2 rolls of the 2-inch wide tape to mask 6 chairs and used half a curlicue Advanced Multi-Surface tape with Edge Lock for the glass table top.
  • Newspaper
  • Drib cloths
  • Sanding cake with medium grit sandpaper
  • Spray paint – I used 4 cans of Rustoleum Hammered Brownish for 6 chairs and the table.Brand certain that whatever spray paint that yous employ is a Primer + Paint formula.
  • Small-tip paint castor for bear on-ups
  • Bucket of soapy water and scrub castor to clean all surfaces before painting

Outdoor-Furniture-Makeover

  1. Before bringing the chairs to my garage to paint, I ran a sanding block on all the metallic surfaces to rough them upward a bit. This will help with paint adhesion.  I then scrubbed them downwardly with mold and mildew cleaner. I rinsed well and let them dry.

I lined my garage with drop cloths and started the job of masking the slings on each chair and the glass on the table so that no overspray paint would get on them.

How-to-Prep-outdoor-furniture-for-paint

ii. I placed the ScotchBlue Painter'due south tape right up to the edge of the metal frame of the chairs.  To make sure the tape is sealed and locked into identify – run your fingertip over the border of the record.   Echo taping on both sides of the top and underside of the chair.

Paint-prep-tips-and-tricks

3. I then covered the sling with newspaper and taped it on. I ran my fingertip over the edge on all the tape to make sure it was sealed.

How-to-use-spray-paint-on-furniture

This was the almost time consuming function of the projection.  Each chair took almost 20 minutes to cover.   I set a table up in my garage to set the chairs on, making them easier to cover – no bending downwardly required.

How-to-prepare-furniture-for-spray-painting

After a few hours – I had them all covered and prepare for paint.

How to prepare outdoor chairs for spray painting.

4. I e'er spray pigment in my garage – enough of ventilation and light.  Even with that, it is important to make sure you wear a mask and then y'all don't breathe in the fumes and overspray.

how-to-paint-furniture-with-spray-paint

5. I sprayed 2 lite coats of Rustoleum "spray primer+ paint in one formula" on each chair, letting the outset glaze dry overnight before applying the second.  I allow them dry out in the garage for 24 hours and then brought them dorsum outside.

Best-way-to-paint-outdoor-furniture

vi. I kept the tape and newspaper on in example I would encounter that I missed a department.  I did – of course, so I just sprayed the small-scale areas that I missed.

Outdoor-furniture being painted

seven. After I fabricated sure at that place was no green showing, I removed the tape and the paper.

How-to-touch-up-paint-on-outdoor-furniture

There were a few modest spots where the sling met the acme of the chair frame that  were notwithstanding light-green. I used a small piece of  ScotchBlue Painter's tape to mask the sling. I so sprayed the paint into the chapeau of the spray paint tin can and dabbed a small tipped paint brush into the lid to pick up some paint. I carefully brushed the paint on.

Painted-Outdoor-Furniture AFTER shot

The hammered chocolate-brown finish updates the outdoor dining set – much amend than the green. I also like it since information technology is a neutral colour – it will become with any table setting color scheme I apply.

Painted outdoor dining table and sling style chairs

Information technology was worth the time and effort to give this classic outdoor dining table and chairs a make new look.

Close up of Spray-painted outdoor-furniture

The Rustoleum Hammered Spray Paint truly provides a factory-like cease on metal.

Spray painted outdoor-table and chairs on deck

2018 Outdoor Furniture Painting Update:

lake house gazebo with painted metal furniture on it

Many readers often write to me and enquire how a DIY project I wrote about has held up.  Well here is one. I wrote this mail service back in 2013. Since and so I have moved to a new house on a lake where the outdoor tabular array and chairs came along and are still in employ. After five years since I painted the ready, this xx year sometime set still looks neat. Thanks to great paint and proper application.  No chipping or peeling. How-to-paint-metal-furniture

Salve Save

Save Save